Every year, the first Sunday after Labor Day is celebrated as National Grandparents Day. In the year 2020, the National Grandparents Day falls on September 13. On this day, we acknowledge, honor, and appreciate our grandparents for the wisdom and knowledge they provide to the young generation and their efforts to build a society that we live in today. Let’s take this moment to express how grateful we all are for having grandparents in our lives.
History of National Grandparents Day
The first-ever National Grandparents Day was celebrated in the year 1961 by Jacob Reingold and Marian McQuade and also these were also the founder of this Day. The idea of having a dedicated day for grandparents was first proposed by Jacob Reingold in the White House Conference on Aging in 1961, he wanted a day where everyone can acknowledge and appreciate the importance and role of grandparents in our lives. Later the same year, the Borough of New York City announced the Grandparents Day as an official holiday. Pathan release date
Happy Grandparents Day Quotes 2020
1. “Grandparents, like heroes, are as necessary to a child’s growth as vitamins.” — Joyce Allston
2. “A grandparent is a little bit parent, a little bit teacher, and a little bit best friend.”
3. “I know you’ve loved me since I was born, but I’ve loved you my whole life.”
4. “What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies.” — Rudy Giuliani
5. “Grandparents are the best kind of grownups.”
6. “Grandparents are like stars. You don’t always see them, but you know they’re there.”
7. “Grandparents make the world a little softer, a little kinder, and a little warmer.”
8. “The reason grandchildren and grandparents get along so well is that they have a common enemy.” — Sam Levenson
9. “If nothing is going well, call your grandparents.”
10. “Grandchildren don’t need a lot of toys. The best thing a grandchild can have is a grandparent who gets down on the floor and plays with them.”
In order to acknowledge the grandparent’s day globally, Mrs. McQuade filed a petition in 1970, and the first state to accept that petition was West Virginia in 1973. Then, the US President Jimmy Carter passed a bill in 1978 to celebrate the Grandparents Day nationally. He said, “The elders of each family have the responsibility for setting the moral tone for the family and for passing on the traditional values of our Nation to their children and grandchildren.”
National Grandparents Day Whatsapp Status
- “Grandma always made you feel she had been waiting to see just you all day and now the day was complete.” Marcy Demaree
- “Grandchildren are God’s way of compensating us for growing old.” -Mary H. Waldrip
- “A child needs a grandparent, anybody’s grandparent, to grow a little more securely into an unfamiliar world.” -Charles and Ann Morse
- “What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies.” -Rudolph Giuliani
There are some interesting facts about Grandparents Day like there is an official song for this day named, “A Song for Grandma and Grandpa” by Johnny Prill and an official flower called “forget-me-not”.
National Grandparents Day Celebrations
You can celebrate this day by spending some quality time with your grandparents by having meals together and enjoying a hobby together. You can also gift something to them with some emotional value.